Q. Who regulates UAS operations?

A. FAA regulates all aircraft and the jurisdiction of airspace is solely under the FAA as well.  Regulations for Commercial UAS Operators can be found at:  Further clarification on FAA guidelines are in their Recreational Drone Safety Video.  Full UAS regulations are published at or, the advisory circular is available at  However, that said state, county, and local laws would still also apply to your operations

Q. Who do I call to report hazardous UAS operations or to make a complaint regarding UAS operations in our region?

A. The local FSDO office at: 1-800-847-3808 or email, Local/state laws ALSO apply so you should contact your local police department as well:, i.e. peeping tom law

Q. Do local/state laws apply to my UAS operations?

A. Yes, all laws apply to your operations regardless of ignorance.  It is your responsibility to ensure you are in compliance with all laws (Federal or; State Colorado, County Larimer, Weld; or local Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, Johnstown, Windsor, etc…) prior to operating your drone. 

Q. What Class Airspace is FNL?

A. Currently we are Class E airspace, this will upgrade to Class D once Remote Tower is active.

Q. How do I notify the Airport of my UAS/drone operations?

A. Please fill out the UAS operations form on our site at:, please note ALL UAS operators without a Part 107 within a 5 mile radius are required to fill out this form to notify the Airport of your intended operations, UAS pilots with their Part 107 are required to obtain prior authorization through LAANC or contact TRACON (Terminal Radar Approach Control) at 303-342-1500 option 1 for UAS operations within 5 miles of the Airport.  UAS pilots with their Part 107 are still encouraged to notify the Airport through our notification form.

Q. How often do I need to notify you of my operations?

A. If you have a standard period of time that you conduct your operations in a set location then please submit one form per location with a range dates for the operations and input this in the notes field of the form (i.e. June-August 2016, MWF from 3-5 pm).  Again if you have a Part 107 you MUST receive prior authorization through the LAANC app or contact TRACON.  If you have operations out of the ordinary please contact our Executive Assistant, Shawn Battmer, at 970-962-2851 or at

Q. Do I really need to contact the helipads and other airfields on the Knowbeforeyoufly map?

A. All UAS operations within a 5 mile radius of other airfields and helipads AND there is a phone number listed for them, then yes you need to contact them about your operations as well, especially if you do not have a Part 107.  Whether that needs to be for each instance is up to each airfield/helipad operator so you will need to confirm what their notification requirements are.  If no number is listed for the airfield or helipad then you may still fly ONLY if it is safe to do so, keep your UAS within sight at all times, do not interfere with manned aircraft you see, avoid manned aircraft at all times, and proceed with extreme caution.  Again if you have a Part 107 you MUST receive prior authorization through the LAANC app or contact TRACON.

Q. How do I get blanket approval for my UAS/drone operations?

A. Requests for a Waiver/‚ÄčAirspace Authorization for Commercial Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) may only be granted by the FAA at:  Please note this form should only be used to request waivers or airspace authorizations under Title 14 CFR Part 107; it is NOT for modelers or hobbyists flying in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (P.L. 112-95, Section 336).  You may likely need to still obtain clearance through LAANC, please check the FAA site to learn more.

PLEASE NOTE: Once the Remote Tower is active these requirements/notifications will change.

Q. If I have an sUAS waiver granted do I still need to fill our your form?

A. IF your waiver is approved then please follow whatever other stipulations come with your waiver and LAANC; however, the FAA still recommends you notify the Airport which you may do so with our form.  Again this will change once Remote Tower is active and you will need to coordinate with air traffic controllers in our Remote Tower at that time.